- Challenges with counterfactual analysis: in most situations (enterprises, buildings, cities, endeavours), one can't easily compare the result of the designs/strategies/plans that was actually taken - with other hypothetical designs/strategies/plans that could have been taken. People either need to intuitively value sound well reasoned designs, strategies, plans - or not i.e. the ROI is either obvious or it is not. So there is no point of comparison.
- Self-interest: This can militate against sharing knowledge. Knowledge is power. This can be seen in many professions to a greater or lessor extent. If ones shares and/or make available the knowledge one has (or the basis of a decision), one may diminish ones value (as a holder of knowledge), and become open to criticism (e.g. regarding the veracity of the data or the soundness of the analysis).
- Secrecy: Sometimes one does not wish to disclose a strategy/plan. Often the downside of secrecy is that people in ones own team or side, don't understand what should be done, why, when etc. (i.e. the benefit of secrecy is outweighed by its impact on efficacy).
- Thinking is intrinsically difficult: These things (strategy/design/planning, and modelling) are often quite difficult to do well i.e. they require quite a lot of thought. To make matters worse the result can be seen, with hindsight, as trivial and not justifying the effort required.
- Thinking takes time: It is always quicker just to act
- Thinking costs money: As results may be seen as trivial e.g (F = M x A) and could not be worth justifying the effort.
- Future is someone else's problem: That what is constructed is a poor fit, doesn't last, is expensive to operate, expensive to change or adapt is often not the problem of the initiator, the initial designer, or the builder (and perhaps the initial user).
People wishing to ensure better strategies, designs and plans, need to look for others who:
- Intrinsically value better strategies, designs and plans, and can consider the future.
- Can overcome self-interest of knowledge holders and know what must be kept secret
- Know thinking is difficult, takes time and money and are prepared for the effort.